Monday, October 6, 2008

maybe i shouldn't go home

Last Wednesday evening just after 7 I got into my wonderful '91 Honda Civic to head home for a dentist appointment I had on Thursday morning. I had not been home since I came down to Bluffton and was looking forward to being home in an hour and a half.



Five hours later I arrive at home.



I was turning onto 108 when my car started acting strange. My lights dimmed, my radio turned off, and my RPMs were bouncing all around. Soon it returned to normal and I went through the town of Miller City. Of course when I re-enter the country my car starts acting up again. so I called my mom who was at church working with the Junior Highers (yes my mom, why? because my dad was on a mission trip in Mexico) and explained to her what was going on, she told me to call Caleb (my brother) in Fort Wayne.



While I was on the phone with Caleb my cars RPMs read 0, my lights dimmed more and more, and my radio quit again. In other words, my car died. I tried to pull off the road, but the ditch was steep, i tried to turn on my hazard lights, but they didn't work. On top of this, my phone is dieing, and i am in the middle of the country with no lights around.



The car that was a distance behind me slows down and pulls of the road in front of me. An older gentleman got out of the car and helped me get it off the road more. At this time another car stops behind me and two farm guys get out who luckily new the owners of the farm across the street. They helped me push the car into an old farm drive way and the older gentleman who stopped first offered to take me as far a Napoleon.



So, I got into the car with this stranger. Since my phone was dieing I used his cellphone to call my mom and let her know where I  was exactly and that I'd meet her at the Napoleon Walmart (about 1/2 hour drive from where I was). I turned off my phone so save the battery in case I'd need it again and let Caleb know what was going on. He was not happy.



Harry B was the man's name and for the next half-hour we got to know each other. He was born in Germany, he was in Vietnam for a while, lived in Holgate for 6 years (a little town that we passed through on the way to Napoleon), and now lives in Napoleon. We talked about his daughters, my siblings, politics, the economy, the radio and how the news is so slanted, and all kinds of little things.



I called my mom when we arrived at Walmart, but she wasn't there yet so I told Harry that I'd walk around Walmart until she got there, thanked him and got out of the car.



When my mom got there she informed me that Nate and Paul Andre offered to drive out, load my car on their trailer and take drop it off in my grandma's shop. So we waited for them to arrive and headed back to my car.



On the way Nate got a phone call, he had previously arranged for my youth pastor Wendell to drive his truck into Archbold and drop the keys in a drop box at a shop. So Wendell drove a truck to the shop and left it there.

Meanwhile another man named Doug back at church is wondering who stole his truck out of the parking lot. Wendell called Doug's house because he had a question about the Internet, since nobody was home he left a message that said "hey Doug, give me a call." Back at church the police are about ready to be called since nobody is claiming the stolen truck as a prank ( I am still unaware of whether the police were called or not). Somehow Wendel and Doug got a hold of each other and the mystery was solved. Now Nate and Doug had to get the right trucks in the right places.

On our end of the phone the conversation is finished and we're almost to my car. Once we found it and got it loaded we head back into Napoleon first (so we could get my moms car) and then to my grandma's shop outside of Wauseon. By the time I finally arrive home it is almost midnight, and I am tired, and hungry (I didn't eat supper on campus. I work until 7 and decided to just wait another 1.5 hours until I was home so that I could have so tasty home cooked left overs).

My mom and I, being the wonderful mechanics we are, diagnosed the car as having an alternator problem. I did the stuff I had to do around home and I drove my dad's Caviler back to Bluffton.

Some trip home. I was expecting a nice stress free 1.5 hour trip and a nice relaxing time; instead I had a nerve racking, hitch hiking, 5 hour trip home. Thank goodness for my church family for helping me get my car home, and praying for me as soon as they learned that I was riding in a car with a stranger and having a stressful night. Still, looking back, it was a great adventure and I'd so do it again!

4 comments:

Deanna said...

What do you mean you'd do it again... Are you trying to give me a heart attack?!!! :-)

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

I thought that the car was "wigging out" :-)

Then I found out you were in the car with a stranger.. and Mom started "wigging out"........

I don't think I ever prayed so hard for you as I did at that time!

Maybe your parents need to rethink letting you have a car at college..

Whats up with the title?? Maybe I shouldn't go home?????

Maybe you should make sure your cell phone is charged, and be smart when you travel, alone or with others.

Brooke said...

goodness mom, didnt you read the last sentence, I said I do ti again, so no worries i'll be ome again sometime (this weekend actually, because it is fall break. Besides, i was beinging smart, if i would not have felt that I could trust the driver, or a ride in the car with a stranger on a path I knew (so i'd know if he made a wrong turn) i would not have done it. but at the time it was the best option.