Sunday, December 21, 2008

Created to be pumped for Jesus

this convo was edited for clarity
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~





11:37pmBrooke
by the way you're talking, it had to be a God feeling you're having you're pumped for Jesus!

11:38pmJonathon
I'm pretty sure we were created to be pumped for Jesus a lot more often than we tend to be

11:39pmBrooke
oh my, you have just hit a train of thought I've been riding for a while now


11:39pmJonathon
ooo

11:40pmJonathon
Like, even when we are focusing on something that isn't Jesus (like for example, talking to a friend, working on some mundane project, anything), we still should have this underlying intensity in our soul... it is called joy And I think that is the difference between joy and happiness, Jesus is at the center of Joy, happiness is on the outside of anything it accompanies and Joy is at the center of us (is supposed to be anyways)

11:42pmBrooke
(different angle then what I was thinking, but I enjoy this take)


11:42pmJonathon
what is your angle?

11:42pmBrooke
I have a slightly different definition of joy and happiness
no no, let's talk about yours first!!!!

11:43pmJonathon
I probably do too, but I am tired and typing fast lol
but what I said has something to do with my definitions

11:43pmBrooke
I like it! To me joy is something that come from the Holy Spirit and because of this we can be filled with joy even when our emotions do not reflect joy emotions or life situations*for example I may be having a bad day and feel blue; however, I still can be filled with the joy of Christ

11:46pmJonathon
I agree, actually, that fits very much with my train of thought, Holy Spirit/Jesus (God basically, but if we get down to it I suppose we could define it by specific parts of God's trinity) and your example is sorta what I'm thinking when I talk about Jesus Intensity underlying everything (including the bad times) well... it sounds like it fits my train of thought anyways

11:47pmBrooke
however happiness is just the emotion, it can be a part of joy; however it can never fully exist outside of the presence of joy.

11:47pmJonathon
hmm, interesting


11:48pmBrooke
so down and out Joy can exists without happiness, yet happiness cannot fully exists without joy


11:48pmJonathon
what about unholy happiness? for example, happiness because someone else got hurt (emotionally or physically)it seems there has to be a term for that sick and twisted feeling that people get from sin


11:50pmBrooke
this is true, but this is not a feeling of true happiness it fades


11:50pmJonathon
ah, the word true

11:50pmBrooke
right


11:52pmJonathon
does only true happiness come with joy or does both happiness and true happiness come with joy according to your definitions?

11:54pmBrooke
Id say both can be experienced with or without joy...but i suppose I'd have to think on that...try this situation…

11:55pmBrooke
you receive a toy that you really wanted for Christmas whether you have joy or not you will still be happy


11:55pmBrooke
but since happiness is just an emotion it will fade in time


11:55pmJonathon
right.


11:56pmJonathon
and joy doesn't fade (or isn't meant to anyways, it could if fade by not being connected to God)
...

11:57pmBrooke
right, that is what I am thinking happiness = and emotion, and emotions come and go
joy= something much deeper than an emotion

11:58pmJonathon
oh yes, I think our slightly different angles revolve around the question "Does happiness always stem from joy?"but then again, what if we had different angles concerning our angles? (ooo... that is complicated)

12:00amBrooke
and good, i love hearing all different angles. they help me develop/alter/or abandon my own angles


12:00amJonathon
same here!they make me figure out what I really think


12:01amBrooke
mmhmm! so, how would you answer the ? "Does happiness always stem from joy?"


12:01amJonathon
I would say it doesn't, but happiness as God would have it felt always stems from joy emotions, like everything else in this world, are corrupted by sin in a perfect world, happiness would always connect to joy somehow that would be "true" happiness (to borrow the term)


12:03amBrooke
(borrowing terms makes it easier to follow)


12:03amJonathon
emotions can be felt in ways and in situations which aren't natural according to God's plan for how everything (creation) works


12:04amBrooke
JONATHAN YOU ARE AMAZING!this is what i was trying to say, but couldn't figure out how to say it....

12:04amJonathon
(conversations are awesome!)

12:04amBrooke
our views on this are the same you simply worded it better, thanks

12:04amJonathon
I had a funny feeling they were
welcome :):)

12:05amBrooke
yeah Jesus!


12:13amBrooke
oh going way back to how the convo got started

12:13amJonathon
lol
way way back

12:14amBrooke
when you said "I'm pretty sure we were created to be pumped for Jesus a lot more often than we tend to be"



12:14amBrooke
i started thinking about skin deep commitment

and about how so many people are half baked Christians (Lukewarm like it reads in Revelations)
I like to think that it is simply because people do not realize that they do not understand
..but I do not know



12:17amJonathon
yeah, I see what you're saying
(I think)

12:20amJonathon
to make a statement that might take the thought on a slightly different path, I think the more a person understands Jesus, the more committed they want to be, and the more committed a person is, the more they understand Jesus
(it is co-dependent)
ooo!!!!!!!

12:20amBrooke
I believe this to be true as well

12:21amJonathon
I've been thinking about how people come to understand Jesus and want Jesus more, specifically about the role of others in the "growee
growee's" life
life/process anyways
now, this is kinda simple, but it is easy to just think of it and say "duh, yeah of course" and then not change
anyways

12:23amBrooke
i agree, if those with a "deeper" understanding would do all that they could to help others understand more
..then more would grow

12:24amJonathon
example. When people are exposed to understanding Jesus lived out in another persons life, that life being shared with the "growee", it is like getting a little taste of what could be had
basically, I'm just getting fired up about the whole idea of mentoring others through just having a close relationship
(lol, I get fired up about the simplest things)

12:25amBrooke
I agree, which leads me to something I strongly believe the church has lost
community

12:25amJonathon
YES!
And, there lies a whole other conversation lol

No comments: