Monday, October 8, 2007

Comfort Zone alert

I spent most of this past weekend writing a persuasive speech entitled "Beautiful Body" (posted yesterday) it deals with the media and how it's double message of eating a butt-load of food and being really-super thin is bogus and we should be happy with our healthy bodies just the way they are. It was really interesting to research; I learned a great deal about eating disorders and also gathered a lot of stats that were shocking and some depressing.

Life, outside of my speech, has really picked up। I am singing up front with the MYF band on Wednesday evenings. This is WAY outside of my comfort zone as I have never thought that I had a good singing voice, sure I have been in musicals, but only as nameless characters with NO big singing parts (only nice a sized chorale and the whole cast). But the youth group girls all agreed that our band of guys needed female singers to help lead worship and silly me told my friend that is she went up there I would sing with her…after MYF she was pulled up on stage and she forced me to fulfill my promise. I am looking at it now as need to step outside of my comfort zone to keep from getting too comfy in life.

Saturday I received a phone call asking me to head Kid Connection for the 3rd-8th graders (A huge age gap in my opinion) in November at my church. Basically The Sunday school classes gather in one room and have their bible story presented to them in drama, or some other interesting manner. The high school Sunday class was asked to take over November and my peers all told Deb that she should call me. It is a big task, and I do not have the information yet, I should get it Wednesday at MYF.

I was asked Sunday to teach my Sunday school class in a few weeks, the twist, I am the youngest in this class by far (next person is 35ish and then probably 75 and up) and I have only been attending the Sunday school class for a few weeks, they are all very excited to have me teach their class, and I am thinking what do I have to teach these people? They have been through so much more than I have...


I also was asked by the leader of SADD to talk at our school assembly Wednesday about something to do with a banner that people can write the names of people who have died in car accidents on, but I do not know exactly what he wants me to say… my story?? Hmmm…. I’ll have to let you know later what I am wanted to do I guess.

All of this has come to me within a few weeks…. I am not sure what to think of it. Singing in the youth group band, leadership roles in the church and public speaking in front of my high school, they are all new things for me… is this God working? Or am I just being stupid by saying yes and agreeing to go through with these new events?
Hey, I am just a kid trying to figure life out…maybe I am wrong, but I suppose that I will learn from my mistakes if I am……….

2 comments:

Kyle said...

One of my favorite Oswald Chambers quotes is about not waiting for God to tell you what to do. If you see God's work being done, Join! That quote is actually a big part of the reason I worked at camp this summer, and there is no doubt in my mind that the situation there was nothing but God working. I don't think you need to worry about whether or not it's God that is pushing you to do things out of your comfort zone. What you are doing is good. What you are doing is God's.

Julie said...

Brooke I so admire you for being willing to teach your sunday school class I know that they all love you in that class. I am sure that they will all support you as you lead their discussion. It is amazing to see God working in and through you, In so many new and exciting ways!!