Sunday, November 25, 2007

the tip of the iceberg

Thanksgiving was so much fun, I went to Columbiana to hang out with Kyle, his family, and friends. It was great, but now I am really tired and ready for a nap...oh wait, I have school tomorrow, so much for that idea ;-) Thanks for making it such a great Thanksgiving!

Now all people can see is christmas-- yes, in my opinion christmas with a lower case C-- the "buy me now" season. I am sick of it! I had expected to feel slightly less into the season last year since it was the first Christmas after my summer in Zambia; I did think it was overdone, but not as much I do this year. Last year I really did not want a gifts but i still gave my mom gift idea's when she asked and I was very excited for christmas; I really got into the season. I wanted to go and cut the tree the day after thanksgiving, I enjoyed the lights, the decorations, the shopping, the music.....but this year it all seems so lame...so meaningless...so mundane.

It seems to me that very few people celebrate Christmas, most are too wrapped up and busy with the season to realize that Christmas isn't about the decorations, the lights, the shopping, or the christmas trees; they forget the Christmas is about the magnificent and glorious birth of Jesus.


... much more later

2 comments:

Kyle said...

well bah humbug, brooke

Julie said...

Have yourself a merry little christmas.. I hope you get at least a bit of Holiday spirit. I know I have dreaded having Christmas ever since Shaun died, But Dad and I have still tried to make it a special day for you and your living siblings. I hope and pray that your negitive attitude hasn't been compounded by your mothers grief. But finally after 9 yerars I am beginging to look forward to the holiday. Remembering that your brother isn't with us, but you are. Lets celebrate Jesus birth!!!